Young Women in Science (YWiS) Program
Summer 2014: June 16 to August 8, 2014
Applicants must be:
- A female currently enrolled as a junior or senior in high school in a public or private high school in Benton, Franklin or Yakima County.
- Sixteen years of age or older at the time the appointment begins.
- Have completed three mathematics courses and three science courses with a grade of B (3.0) or above in all classes.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (from beginning of 9th grade to current standing).
- Applicants must show a strong interest in science, technology, engineering or mathematics and) have taken mathematics and sciences courses that will support the understanding of their research assignment.
- Applicants must have strong recommendations; illustrate a variety of interests outside their academic pursuits; demonstrate leadership abilities; and show interest in pursuing academic degrees or careers in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- Applicants must have transportation to and from PNNL and cannot have a job or extracurricular activities that will conflict with the appointment. No vacations or plans that will necessitate an interruption/absence during the eight-week appointment are allowed.
- Download the YWiS Application and begin filling in the information now.
- During the period of December 9 - February 14, 2014, go to the Jobs at PNNL homepage. Locate the job titled High School YWIS. This is where you will upload your YWIS Application. See the Guidance of the process for applying.
- After the end of the first semester, mail an Official Transcript of all academic work completed or attempted, beginning with grade nine through the first semester of the current academic year. Must be postmarked by February 14, 2014.
- Note: Through an agreement with the Work Based Learning Coordinators at the public high schools in Richland, Kennewick, Pasco and Kiona-Benton School Districts, your transcript will be sent on behalf of your school.